Sunday, July 26, 2009

Not here. Not now. Not ever!!

Cyber-bullying is using communication and information technological devices to harass, embarrass, or threaten an individual or group. Looking back, I remember an instance where I was a cyber-bully. A relation of mine had recently had an “enhancing surgical procedure.” My friend saw her log in on her AOL account, so I IM’ed her from my friend’s account. I teased her about her “procedure” under complete anonymity.

Schools today have become involved in a new realm of problems stemming from cyber-bullying.
These problems are more difficult to deal with because most of the activity occurs off school grounds. The legal principle established by the U.S. Supreme Court in Tinker vs. Des Moines Independent Community School District (1969) protects the students’ freedom of speech, allowing school interference only when there has been severe and material disruption of school activities. As Kelley R. Taylor puts it, it is “difficult to determine school officials’ authority to regulate some aspects of student conduct that are associated with cyber-bullying.” (Taylor, 2008). A more recent court case, Hazelwood School District vs. Kuhlmeier (1988), allows schools to restrict speech only when there is “some compelling educational objective that justifies restricting the speech, or the speech must be a threat to school safety or to a campus environment conducive to learning.” (Taylor, 2008).

Children who are the victims of cyber-bullying often display symptoms that we as teachers can identify. They may exhibit low self esteem, depression, anger, sudden lowering of grades or an increase in absenteeism. According to Nancy Willard, executive director of the Center for Safe and Responsible Use of the Internet, emphasizes the additional harm that may be done due to cyber-bullying because of its anonymous nature, that victimization can go on 24/7, and that the material is available worldwide and often is irretrievable. (Willard, 2007).

I do not believe that schools are capable of, nor responsible for monitoring the offsite activities of students. However, I do believe it is our duty to instruct them in proper “netiquette” and how to cope with virtual attacks. As there will be no electronic devices in my classroom, I would like to believe that cyber-bullying will not be an issue. If, however, the issue does arise, which means that my behavior is reactionary, we will address it as a class. I will hold a class meeting to discuss the reasons behind the problem then work together to find a solution. Performing in an ensemble requires the ultimate in teamwork, and I will not allow anything to interfere with my group dynamics (pun intended). Depending upon the severity of the circumstances, I believe discussion may easily extend to the entire school or district. It is the obligation of all teachers to foster a safe and wholesome community so that the students may thrive.


References
Taylor, K.R. (2008). Cyberbullying: Is There Anything Schools Can Do? Principal
Leadership, 8(9). Retrieved July 26, 2009, from http://webct.cu-portland.edu/webct/urw/lc9140001.tp0/cobaltMainFrame.dowebct?JSESSIONID=G4VlKs2LSNLbyJSsyw87nZJnsrLQgn7Tp1LmjQgmltQB6vLH3Knn!-544224791!newwebct.cu-portland.edu!80!443

3 comments:

  1. First off Anna, I simply LOVE the title of your blog! AMAZING! I also like that the main crux of your writing was to emphasize the symptoms parents and teachers can use to identify children who are possible victims of bullying. Way to teach your kids cooperation in music! LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Anna, I also agree with you. We should be teaching students proper "netiquette," but not necessarily monitor the outside activity of our students. I also like the idea of holding class meetings and coming together as a community to solve the problems. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teaching students how to cope with bullying is important. I do agree. Teaching coping skills is key to prevention!

    ReplyDelete