The best items I noticed during the presentations were the images my classmates used. Stephanie's pp on Poe had beautiful watercolors and Everett's images of energy helped me to relate the ideas of different forms of energy to real life use (I also really loved the lightning). The least engaging thing I saw was probably the video I showed. While I enjoy the clip (and picked it out specially), I felt awfully silly just standing next to the screen as it played. I also found volume to be an issue, although I blame much of that on the disturbances from the class next door!
After watching the presentations from the rest of the class, I once again felt that my own was rather boring. Ideally, with my intention of becoming a music teacher I would/should/could have loaded my presentation with sound clips, but I don't even know how to look for them! Through a slow process of elimination I found a couple major scales, so I had to use those, even though I did not want to follow C Major with C#Major I was forced to. Originally I wanted to play C Major and then D Major, but the only D Major scale I could find was in a register so low it would not be appropriate for classroom use. I also wish I could have had more time to present. The whole thing seemed rushed for me, and I would have loved to spend 5 or 10 minutes on the pattern screen alone (with some type of game to help them memorize it).
I certainly feel that this Power Point Presentation was a significant advancement on my last one, which was also my first one and only written 2 weeks ago. It seems hard for me to find ways to apply this sort of presentation to my endorsement, but I keep trying and, with some helpful suggestions from my cohort, hopefully succeeding. I can't lie, I have a considerable amount of angst toward the Power Point; I don't like doing them and they make me feel technologically "dumber" than I know I am. The chances of there being a Power Point presentation in my future classroom is quite slim, but I am going to pretend to blame it on the real fact that I have never seen a computer or projection screen in a classroom.
Friday, July 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great post Anna! I thought your powerpoint was interesting, not dull or boring. I think you did a good job of incorporating powerpoint into music as best as is possible. I also agree that powerpoints tend to be a bit boring and perhaps not very useful to a music class, but maybe for an introduction to an instrument or a musical time in history, they could be useful. Keep truckin!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your presentation! I thought your animations and sounds were perfect for the lesson. I agree that it can be weird when you play a media file and just stand there and watch the class. I didnt get to my part - but I'm sure that the class might tune out to "The Building of The Panama Canal" I guess its still important to add variety to the piece and make sure you're proud of your slides. If you think its silly and boring, then students will pick up on this negative energy
ReplyDeleteAwesome presentation Anna!